If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Step 2 -- Cleansing and detoxing the body

From January through April, 2006, I pretty much just continued what I was doing in Step 1 and succeeded in losing about 10 more lbs, getting down to 215. I didn't have a scale, so I don't have daily weights to share.

One mistake I made was to take up drinking diet sodas. As noted in Step 1, I had totally given up sodas. Why did I make this stupid mistake? I was deceived by the myth that it's just about calories. Diet sodas have so very few calories, so why not enjoy them?

Step 2 - Cleansing and detoxing the body

In May 2006 my daughter invited me to do the Fat Flush plan with her. I was at 214 when we did this program. We ate a lot of bitter greens and drank a lot of cranberry juice -- unsweetened, with just a little bit of stevia plus added to make it palatable. We were also introduced to flax seed as a source of omega fats and good fiber.

Phase 1: The Two-Week Fat Flush ® — This initial two-week phase will jumpstart weight loss for dramatic results. Your shape will be transformed as pounds melt away from your body's favorite fat storage areas – your hips, thighs and buttocks. Some individuals report up a loss of up to 12 inches during this first phase of the diet!

After we completed Phase 1, we decided to do the 3-day fast program, designed for cleansing and detoxing.

However, we both lost interest in this plan because so much of the food we ate was not good-tasting to us. For me it didn't make sense to force myself to eat foods I didn't enjoy when there was so much other good, nutritious food available. One example, salad greens. Why eat the bitter greens when Romaine and spinach, which are so nutritious and much better tasting, are readily available?

Results

I lost another 19 lbs, going from 225 to 206, with a total net loss of 49 lbs. I am still morbidly obese.

No comments: