If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Step 3 -- Increased Physical Activity

From May to September, 2006, I just maintained my emphasis on eating fewer snacks and controlling how much I ate at one time. I was drinking a lot of diet soda, and not much water.

I was able to maintain my weight loss through this period of time, with the usual ups and downs, because I was becoming more and more active. I no longer had the advantage of the step exercise, but I did have 3 grandchildren, ages 6, 4, and 18 months.

Playing with the grandchildren, especially the 18 month old, was my "weight-lifting program." He ran to me, I lifted him high, lowered him, swung him, lifted him back up. It defies logic, but this activity significantly decreased my chronic back pain. Other activities, just standing at the swing pushing him, playing ball with him and the older 2. And the leg lifts -- he sat on my feet and I would do leg lifts with him -- that was really helpful for the stomach. Also, I liked to lay on my back on the couch, with him laying on top of me, and I lifted him up a couple of times to the point of outstretched arms. He just loved it. And the older two would get in on the action as much as possible.

My activity also included taking him for walks in his stroller. Not long walks, just down the block a few houses and back, maybe two or three times.

Results

Weight loss maintenance and lots of fun with the grandkids.

No comments: