If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Friday, January 15, 2010

Fighting the Devil of food addiction

The first few days of this new regime, I felt no hunger at all between meals. I guess my body was still emptying out my stomach from the binging. Then the hunger between meals began, but very manageable. But on Wednesday night I had a serious bout with temptation. I was in one of those eat anything in sight as long as it's not poisonous moods. I talked myself out of it, reminding myself that I was not going to die and the morning would come soon enough so I could eat again. Then I got chilled, and thought how good some hot chocolate would be. I talked myself out of that, too, reminding myself that it would warm me up for only a little while, and would my hunger only temporarily. But I also prayed for help, because this food addiction is a real devil that must be destroyed, and I do not have the power to do it on my own; I need divine help.

I passed the night without eating. Now I am okay again.

Some feel it is not good to be too regimented on a diet. But this isn't just a diet; this is fighting food addiction. Years ago in high school one of our teachers was a tall, rather thin man. One day he sat down to join us for lunch and he had hardly anything on his plate, much less than even us girls had. We teased him that he was going to starve to death. He told us, I eat to live, not live to eat.

In the past, food has been far too important in my life. I'm a much happier, much more productive person when food is demoted to its rightful place.

The portion control, rather than counting calories or points, is working rather well. In addition to a steady weight loss, I get to enjoy some of my "bad" favorites. I love fried eggs, fried potatoes, and toast. Before I would have 2 small red potatoes shredded, 2 eggs, and 2 slices of toast. This week I had this "bad" breakfast but just 1 small potato shredded, one egg, and 1 slice of toast. Bingo -- 50% less calories. I don't indulge in fried foods very often, but it's nice to be able to indulge once in awhile and still keep on the regimen.

No comments: