If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Monday, September 3, 2007

Significant Milestones -- The BMI Categories

These are the BMI categories used by the Hall website, which I find to be the most reputable site on the subject. If you have a lot of weight to lose, like I did, these categories make excellent milestones to celebrate. Each category above normal health range represents a significant increase in health risks.

I've indicated my weight range for each category, and the date I dropped out.

super obese
men & women: 50-60 BMI
my weight: 248-255
I dropped out of this category before Thanksgiving 2005

morbidly obese
men & women: 40 - 50 BMI
my weight: 198-247 lbs.
I dropped out of this category on December 15, 2006

severely obese
men & women: 35 - 40 BMI
my weight: 173-198 lbs.
I dropped out of this category on May 12, 2007

overweight or obese
women: >32.3
men: >31.1
my weight: 160-172
Not out of this category yet, but getting mighty close

overweight
women: 27.3-32.3 BMI
men: 27.8-31.1 BMI
my weight: 135-160

marginally overweight
women: 25.8-27.3 BMI
men: 26.4-27.8 BMI
my weight: 124-135

in normal range
women: 19.1-25.8 BMI
men: 20.7-26.4 BMI
my weight: 94-124

underweight
women: <19.1 BMI
men: <20.7 BMI
don't want to and don't expect to ever see this category

anorexic
women: < 17.5 BMI
men: < 17.5 BMI
ditto for this category

You can go to the Hall website and it will compute your BMI, as well as give you the medical recommendation (based on BMI) for your normal weight range.

No comments: