If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Changes to my blog

I changed the style just to have something different -- change is refreshing.  I chose the background because it reminds me of shooting for the stars.  The 3 quotes I put under the title reflect reality -- we are humans with weaknesses, and my particular weakness is my battle with obesity.  I've managed quite well at times, but sooner or later I give in and gain the weight back, oftentimes plus more.  So what is the solution?  It's to admit this is going to be a lifelong battle that can only be ultimately won through faith in Jesus Christ.  As with Paul in the New Testament, Christ has chosen not to remove this thorn from my side, so I must learn to deal with it.

These are some things I've learned through years of experience dealing with this issue:
  • It's my issue, and I'll deal with it in my own way.
  • There are many ways to skin this cat -- and what works at one time, doesn't work at another time.
  • Not all food eaten must be nutritious, or in its most nutritious form.  That's why the 3rd quote is included, to remind me that food is for enjoyment as well as nutrition.
  • The Lord knows what's best for me, thus the need to keep in tune with the Spirit when planning diets and exercise programs.
  • I prefer to be private about this, but the Lord inspires me to be public so others may benefit from my successes and failures.
  • There's no such thing as a "recovered" food addict -- we are always in a state of "recovering."  
  • All things in moderation is the guiding principle, but if certain foods induce binging they should be totally eliminated for a period of a few weeks, and then try again to see if you can control the amount consumed.  
  • Everyone has a calorie budget -- we can tweak it a bit through good diet and adequate exercise, but for the most part, we're stuck with it.  Exceptions, of course, are thyroid or hormonal problems that cause disturbance in the metabolic rate.  Most of us don't have thyroid or hormonal problems -- we just overeat, eat too much of the wrong kinds of food, and don't get enough physical activity. 
  • We should exercise to be fit -- not just so we can eat more food.
I'll write another post in a few days to catch everyone up on how I've been doing the last year or so.  I hate to publicly admit it, but if it helps someone else, then it's worth it.  

No comments: