If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Friday, June 19, 2020

Tomato production

My tomato plants are, from S to N

1.  Patio Hybrid (PH-1), determinate, 4" transplant purchased from WalMart on 4-29
2.  Beef Steak (BS-2), started from seed indoors, transplanted 4-19
3.  Better Boy (BB-3), 4" transplant purchased from WalMart on 4-29
4.  Beef Steak (BS-4), started from seed indoors, transplanted 4-18
5.  Beef Steak (BS-5), started from seed indoors, transplanted 4-18
6.  Bush Goliath (BG-6) determinate, 4" transplant purchased from WalMart on 4-30
7.  Bonnie transplant purchased from WalMart, July 9, indeterminate, at S end of wood box
8.  Early Girl transplant from WalMart, July 9, indeterminate, 2nd from the S in wood box
9.  Patio Hybrid, July 9, determinate, transplant from WalMart, 3rd from S in wood box
10.  Two Early Girl bush, July 9, determinates from WalMart, in front of beef steak & better boy

June 19 - Picked my first tomato today -- because it had blossom end rot.  It was on the BS-2.  The BB-3 has 1 tomato that has black spots on the bottom, so it may turn into Blossom End Rot, too, but the other 2 tomatoes on it appear okay. I just noticed the black spots today.  Is it a coincidence that it has rained heavy today, started during the night, and we've gotten 1.69 inches so far.  I didn't notice the blossom end rot on plant BS-2 yesterday, as I check the plants every day.

I blended up some egg shells with water in the blender, and applied some to both of those plants.  I did put down egg shells and coffee grounds on plants BS-4 and BS-5 at the time of planting, but I don't indicate that I did the same for BS-2.

I wanted some Early Girl and JetStar, but when I was ready to plant, WalMart didn't have any and by the time they did, I already had the 6 planted.

I took some pictures of the tomatoes I can see on the plants, to see what condition they are in.

From PH-1, looks okay


From BS-2, still very small, and it looks ok.

The tomato I removed from BS-2



From BB-3, one looks like it already is starting blossom end rot, one looks okay, and the third looks like it is going to be infected, too.


July 17, tomato from Patio Container plant, about half ripe.  Picked it because it was on growing practically on the ground.  Pic on phone.  July 19, ate the tomato, it was very good, had a little bit of splitting on the top.  

July 22, first ripe tomato from Bush Goliath, small but well formed.  July 23, ate the tomato, not very good, still had green in it although it looked fully ripe.  Not good flavor.  Pic on phone.

July 24, picked two tomatoes from Better Boy transplant purchased from WalMart, picked because they were about half ripe and splitting at the top.  That tote gets the rain when it rains.  


No comments: