If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Melon and Cuke Harvest



Melon and Cuke harvest

Started transplants - March 22, 2020
I used 8 oz. Styrofoam cups
sugar baby watermelon - 2 cups with 3 in each cup
Beefsteak tomatoes - 1 cup with 3
Perseus Hybrid cuke - self-pollinating, 1 cup with 3
Diva Cuke - self-pollinating, 1 cup with 3



Lil Sweet Improved Cantaloupe - 2 cups with 3 in each cup



April 18 - set transplants in totes
4 watermelon plants
4 cantaloupe plants
2 Diva cuke plants
2 Persius cuke plants




April 29 - The cukes are not doing well, and it's slow progress with the melons, trellises not yet in place.

May 14 - I planted the petunias on April 30.












June 1 - the melons have taken off, but the cukes are still not doing well.  

June 21
I am considering doing away with the cukes, green beans, and peas.  It is so crowded at that end, and my melons are doing so much better and they need the space.  The cukes have already been transplanted longer than their maturity dates, and yet I have nothing anywhere ready to be picked.  I think it's because they are in the 5-gallon buckets.  


                                                                                   
June 22
I pulled the peas, beans, and cukes today.  I found a squash bug on one of the cuke leaves, so now I'm really glad I pulled them.  I killed the squash bug by cutting it up into pieces.  I will have to check my melons carefully to be sure they aren't infested.  This is the information I found on the web.  


Squash Bug Damage These bugs inject a toxin into the plant and suck the sap right out of it with their sharp, sucking mouthparts. This causes yellow spots that eventually turn brown. The leaves will wilt because the damage prevents the flow of nutrients to the leaves, and then they will dry up and turn black, crisp, and brittle.

I purchased two t-posts and a post driver at Orchelein's today.  Vicky is going to help me and I'm hopeful we will be able to put them in, and then I'll put the fence back up on the north.  I don't think I can successfully move the tote, at least I don't plan to at this point.  

I did look at Orcheleins to see what drip system they had, and they didn't have the drip hose, but they did have the emitters that put water out in a circle that I saw on a youtube yesterday.  I think it will water the totes better.  I have a couple days before I have to water again to redo the drip system.  











































No comments: