If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Thursday, January 9, 2020

A suprise gift and more worms

My brother Ricky laid over at my place for his appointment at the VA in Wichita, and he have me some Christmas money.  I went to WalMart today and shopped for a dinner to make in my Instant Pot and got 2 more containers of worms, and I put 9 in each tote, except the last green tote along the south wall only got 7 I think.  I also added more covering to some of the totes in anticipation of it getting cold again.  They forecasted cold weather for tomorrow and the next few nights and also for next week starting Wednesday. Some of these worms were larger and some were small.  I think this is the 2nd month that I've added worms twice during the month, and maybe one month I bought two containers, but I believe 3 containers is the most I've added each month.  When I see the videos of the worm farms and they just have so many worms, I know that my totes can handle a larger capacity of worms.

With the dinner I will make tonite, I'll have more food scraps to put in the totes, besides just banana peels.  I'll have some bell pepper scraps, both red and green, and they say it's safe to add a little onion, so I will do that also.

WalMart has their package seeds on display, so I'll start buying some for spring planting, to spread out the costs.  I saw the seed tapes for carrots, and I think that is what I will use because those seeds are so small.  I think I can put 3 rows in front of the large tomato plants in those small totes.  At least 2 rows.  I don't yet know how many totes I will use.

I've also thought about using the yogurt large containers for worm towers instead of the soda bottles because they have lids that I can use to cover the towers.  I have a few to use for food scraps but I will start collecting more to see how they work.

No comments: