If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Friday, January 10, 2020

Tote #1 Greenhouses

I think I am going to make some little greenhouses for my totes and for my other buckets when I set them out to plant
  I'll do one to test it to see if it actually keeps them warmer through the winter.⁸


I saw a teference to it in a YouTube and watched one where he built them on raised.beds to extend his growing season to either use with shade cloth or clear plastic
  The YouTube is by MIGardener and is for a low tunnel on a raised beds.

This is my plan.  For each tote, I will


  • Put two flexible hoops, one at each of the long ends.
  • Make each hoop only about 2 1/2 feet tall - just tall enough for seedlings and short plants.
  • Make each hoop long enough to reach to the ground.
  • Attach each hoop to the sides of the tote and if possible drill holes for the hoops through the totes.
  • Drape clear plastic over the hoop and use clothespins to secure it to the tote to the ends and to pull it snug.  
  • Use clothespins all around the tote to secure the plastic.
  • Use the clothespins to remove all or part of the pladtic when necessary, but leave the hoops in place.
Test on one tote to be sure it raises the temp in the tote from the outside temp.  If it does, do the other totes.

No comments: