If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Final tote added to the garden

I filled the final, 30-gallon tote.  I put in a layer of crushed leaves, soaked them with water, and then added about 1/2 gallon of food compost right in the middle, and I just left them sitting on top -- coffee grounds from used Keurig coffee cups, ground up banana peels, and egg shells.
 
Then I took some soil from my other totes to add to it, trying to make the totes as even as possible, and looking for worms as I did.  I did see some worms, and did put 3 worms from another tote into this tote.  And they were nice big worms.  Next time I go to WalMart I'll buy another container of worms.  I'm glad to know that at least some worms survived the arctic blast we had on Monday-Tuesday.


I went out to the street to take some pictures looking at the patio garden.  I also took two pictures from the patio door.  I put the directions on the first picture -- looking at the apartment from the street, I'm looking from east to west, with south on my left and north on my right.  In the middle picture you see the south wall of the patio.  The white buckets in the SW corner will be my water buckets for my drip irrigation.  That white container will be my strawberry patch.  The next 3 grey buckets will be for indeterminate tomatoes, the next black one for dwarf cherry tomatoes, the one on the north end with the green lid will be for cantaloupes, and the one on the north end is the one I just set out today and it will be for watermelons.  The other white bucket is full of leaves, as are the bags.

Some of the bags of leaves I am going to compost by a method I saw on youtube just yesterday.  He just put his leaves into black plastic bags, crushed them up as much as he could, soaked them good with water, tied them up loosely, and then just let them set outside by his house.  He didn't turn them or add anything else.  I'll add the composted leaves to new soil next spring to top off the totes for planting.

I also plan to build a little greenhouse and to start my plants inside it.  I'll put the greenhouse in the tote in the NW corner so it will get most sun.  I'll let a little lamp with a small bulb to provide heat.  I have an electrical outlet on that NW exterior wall.





No comments: