If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Securing against the wind

I started this post last week, but then lost it all because I hit the wrong key.  Discouraged, I didn't write it a second time but went on to something else.

I had picked up a container of worms -- the container said they didn't have to be refrigerated.  I usually buy the ones out of the fridge, but thought I would try something different.  Well, it was different -- not a single worm, not even a dead one, in the container.  So I took that back today for an exchange and went back to the refrigerated worms.  When I got home from WalMart, I divided them up among the 7 totes, putting the extra ones into the newest tote.

Last week I used up my largest on-hand dowel rods to make wind tie-downs for the totes.  You can see from the pictures that I used three per tote.  Last year I had so much trouble with the wind, even with the plants up against the building, so I knew I had to anchor down the totes as well as the cages that will go into the totes for the plants.  Besides driving holes into the lips on the sides of the totes, I drilled holes into the totes for some tie-downs I have so I could anchor them to the totes.


For the strawberry tote, I used one-half of the broken yard stick to secure it to the ground, but didn't take a pic of it.  It doesn't rise above the tote, and doesn't go through a lip on the tote, but it is anchored with a tie-down to the tote.  I couldn't drive the other half in the ground because there is too much concrete next to the building.  I still have the black tote, and the two large totes for melons to wind-anchor, but I will wait until I can purchase more of the big dowels because the ones I still have on hand are not sufficient, I don't think.

Putting the bags of leaves and/or shredded stuff for composting on top of the bins instead of just using the lids helps insulate the soil contents for the sake of the worms.  I've seen worms in two different totes multiplying, so that will add a bit to my worm collection.


No comments: