If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Worms are thriving . . .

I picked up a 30-gallon tote today - this one I will use to plant two watermelon plants next spring.  I dumped the two 5-gallon buckets into it, and in each bucket I saw two big fat worms, and at least one smaller worm.  I was so pleased to see them.  I bought two more containers of worms today - this makes 120 worms so far.  I put 15 worms in each of the bigger totes, and divided the remaining 30 among the 3 18-gallon totes.

I have been gathering lots of leaves from around our building, and a friend and I went to the church building one day to gather bags of leaves -- I had a very large cloth duffel-type bag and she had 3 plastic garbage bags, 13-gallon size.  I gathered a few more from areas in our driveway today.  I added some of the crushed leaves to each tote.

I now have the totes along the front edge of my patio, as that way I can get more totes and more garden next year.  Using the bigger totes will give the staked and vining plants more stability in the wind next year.

I also purchased a drill today to make drilling the holes easier.  It did in fact make it much easier.  I made 1/4" drainage holes in the bottom of the new tote, and 3/16" holes for air circulation in the lid.


No comments: