If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Monday, February 24, 2020

Feed the worms in tub #1

I was getting nearly a full container of scraps, and we got a good rain last night so I decided to feed the worms in tub #1, since it was the first tub I filled, and water it with some rain water that collected in one of the empty tubs (over 2 inches in the bottom of the tub).  The tub was on the north end of the patio so it caught a lot of rain.

I scraped off some of the top layer of soil and added it to my 5 gallon bucket.  That is to make room in the tub for a good layer of mulch when I plant.  And also to get more soil for the tubs yet to be filled.

I dug a hole in the center to put the coffee grounds and the food scraps, which included the shells of 9 eggs that I boiled a couple days ago.  I saw a lot of worms near the top, large ones, which shows that the soil is warm enough for them to not hover around the bottom as was the case when I emptied the totes, they are moving around in the tub.  I put in a good layer of coffee grounds followed by the food scraps and covered up the hole.  After that, I watered it with the rain water and put the plastic cover back on.

My 5-gallon bucket is now nearly full of soil for the next tub build.  When I get another almost -full container of scraps, I will feed tub #2 and so on.  When I start planting, then I'll put back in the 2-liter bottles with worm holes to put the scraps in so I don't have to dig around the roots.

No comments: