If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Rebuild Totes #5 & #3

This is the other black 18-gallon tote  and next in line for a winter rebuild.  This is the process I followed, with pictures, after removing the small container I had used as a worm tower, which still had some contents, which I mixed into the other contents of the tote.

First, I emptied the entire contents of the tote into other containers.  I put the layer of leaves on the top into the compost container, and the soil in the 2 5-gallon buckets I have.

Second, I put in a good layer of leaves and watered them down, with the water coming out the holes in the bottom.

Third, I put in 1/2 gallon of food scraps, consisting of banana peels, orange rinds, and a bit of spinach clippings and also 3 handfuls of raw quick oats that I was given and will never use.  I know the worms don't like citrus, but these are for composting and the worms can leave them alone.  I added more water.











Fourth, I put in a layer of the garden soil I purchased a couple weeks ago, breaking up the larger clumps.  It was still quite moist, so I didn't add any water.












Fifth, I added 3 generous scoops of coffee grounds and 2 generous scoops of egg shells as soil additives.

Sixth, I replaced the soil from the container, looking for worms.  I saw 5 nice healthy worms.  There were probably more, but this is what I saw.  The soil filled the tote to the top, leaving room for mulching and drip lines when I plant.  Oh, the final thing I did, is to dig a hole in the middle near the top and put some food scraps in, so the worms will have food there, too, but there is so much composting material in the tote that they will not want for food.  




About 5 p.m. it was still very nice outside so I went out and rebuilt tote #3, another 18-gallon tote, this one grey.  I rebuilt it the same way as #5, except that the level of bedding was comprised of both leaves and shredded materials, and I didn't have as much garden soil to put in this tote.  I emptied the bag, but it wasn't as much  And I didn't dig a hole at the top to put in more food scraps because I used all I had in the bottom layer.  Otherwise, I rebuilt it the same way.  In this tote, I counted 16 nice big worms as I put the soil back into the tote.










No comments: