If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Friday, February 21, 2020

Red Tub worm counts

The goal is to have 40-50 worms for each tub.  Each carton is supposed to have 30 worms, albeit of various sizes.

*Tub #1 - 50 worms

*Tub #2 - 15 worms plus a carton of worms = ~45, peas planted 3-5-20; 2nd planting 3-25-20 and trellis put up

*Tub #3 - 15 worms plus a carton of worms added on 2-22-20 = ~45.  The soil was nice and not cold at all, though it is 57 and cloudy out and has been below freezing at night.  The soil wasn't as wet as a wrung out sponge, so I added some water to the tub before I put the worms in.  8 strawberry "roots" planted on 3-5-20.  3-6-20 after seeing two youtubes where they soak the roots in water before planting, I recovered the roots and soaked, and then replanted. 3-18-20 pulled up strawberries because they were not taking.

*Tub #4 - 14 worms + carton worms on 3-5-20, 3-6-20 planted garlic, beets, radishes, carrots, and onions.

Tub #5 - 14 worms

Tub #6 - 18 worms, lettuce and spinach planted 3-6-20

Tub #7 - 26 worms -- used to fill tub #9

*Tub #8 - 3 from soil from other tubs, carton added on 3-5-20, potatoes planted 3-5-20; freezing temps in the mid-20's on April 2 and 3 burned the plants, only one has sprouted again as of 4-11-20.

Tub #9 -

So my worms have fared well over the winter, in spite of below freezing nights and some very frigid weather.

2-22-20 Nice batch of red worms

No comments: