If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Friday, December 13, 2019

4th worm tower out and more compost added

Beautiful day again today, before the next winter storm hits this weekend.  Wonderful opportunity to work in the patio garden.

I removed the 4th worm tower today -- in one of the 18-gallon totes that's going to be home to a indeterminate tomato plant next spring.  I saw a worm in it, a thin but long one, not as fat as some that I've seen but definitely healthy.  But it was inside the worm tower so they definitely do work.  I dumped it out with the contents of the worm bin. I didn't see any other worms as I was working in the tote, but I wasn't looking for them.

I added some fresh table scraps -- a couple banana peels and some egg shells -- and dug up all the contents and tossed it about.  The bottom part is composting well, and I see less and less of added composting materials.  So it is doing the job as I counted on.

I then added more composting material -- shredded paper and wettened and crushed leaves.  Except I didn't do a very good job of crushing these leaves.  I added a layer of each and then dug up the soil again to mix them in lightly with the soil so they would compost faster.  I also added some water to the shredded paper, even though the leaves were wet, so I could add some moisture to the tote.

I covered the tote up again with the black plastic, but as I did with the first 3 totes, I did not put the white bag back in it and I kept the worm tower out for the rest of the winter.

Over the last two days I've been working with a bag of leaves that I took out of one of the totes and crushing the leaves.  I've reduced the volume in the bag about 2/3.  I'll do the same with the remaining leaves that I have that are still dry.  I don't have a mechanical way to shred the leaves, so I am using my feet and hands.  The cloth bags protect me from being scratched or punctured with the small twigs that the leaves are attached to, and they don't tear, whereas the plastic bags will tear.

I've also been converting my dowel pieces from cutting down the dowels used as stakes for the totes into shavings, which I can add to my compost materials.

I'm thinking about putting in a fence along the front edge to make the porch more attractive, and then thought, the fence would prevent the plants from getting full sun next spring/summer, so I thought maybe I would put up a fence only to the height of the bins.  I think I'll do a white picket-type fence.  The panels I had on 3rd floor come in 4-foot heights IIRC, and I can have them cut to any length and height I want, as 4-feet will be too tall for what I want.

No comments: