If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Monday, December 23, 2019

Feeding the worms

Now that I have the totes inside, it will be much easier to feed them on a systematic basis with my food scraps and compost materials.

For food scraps, they now consist only of egg shells, banana peels, and coffee grounds.

The banana peels, I put one in each tote as I have it.  I dig a hole to the very bottom of the tote, leaving only a thin layer of dirt underneath.  I've decided to vary my holes.  For each tote, I will alternate between digging the holes in right back, center back, left back; right middle, center middle, left middle; and right front, center front, and left front.  I've done center middle for the 5 totes in the bedroom, and left middle for the 2 totes in the closet.  I'll start with the back left to right next, and then the center, and then the front.  By burying the banana peels, I hope to aid decomposition and prevent smelling.  Also, I hope to get the worms moving around in the totes.

The egg shells -- I'm going to search for a small appliance that will crush them into a powder, as I've seen them used that way on YouTube.  I think a small coffee grinder will do the job.  And then I'll spread them evenly in the totes, just raking them into the soil.  I also need to get a small hand rake for the job.

The coffee grounds -- I have quite a few, and will just spread them evenly over the surface of each tote and rake them into the soil.  I think I will do one scoop at a time.

Now that I've got my instapot, I might start having more food scraps to use.  If so, I will bury them like the banana peels, rotating the totes as I use up the food scraps.  Lisa sent me an egg rack and a small pan to use in the instapot.  I'm going to get supplies today to make devilled eggs for a treat for Christmas Day.

I plan to buy two containers of worms with my check on the 3rd, to increase my worm population now that I have the totes inside.

I'm also looking for a grow lamp to start my seeds indoors instead of buying the plants.  I have one in my shopping cart at WalMart that sells for about $45, and it seems ample to grow my seedlings.  I am going to put more into the totes than I originally planned.  I want to plant some cool weather crops ahead of the summer crops.  The cool weather crops being some lettuces and peas, etc.  Of course also a lot of flowers to bring in the pollinators.  Otherwise, I plan to do a lot of hand pollinating for my cantaloupes and watermelons.  I'm debating whether to do some cukes.

No comments: