If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. Anne Bradstreet

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season therof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion. D&C 59:18-20

Friday, December 20, 2019

Just Men Made Perfect

Yesterday I was musing about why I am so interested in Family History.  And it came to me why.  D&C 76 gives the answer.  Thinking of my Dad and the others that I've seen in a prayer circle on my behalf.

In D&C 76, it describes the inhabitants of the terrestrial world this way:  "These are they who are honorable men of the earth, wo were blinded by the craftiness of men."  This perfectly describes my father and others of my ancestors.  I believe I have thousands of ancestors that fit this description.  Many of them were born during a time when the Church was not upon the earth, and others, like my father, into areas already seeped in Catholicism.  They lived what they were taught.

Then it describes the inhabitants of the celestial kingdom.  "These are they who are just men made perfect through Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, who wrought out this perfect atonement through the shedding of his own blood."

My Dad and others were in the terrestrial kingdom not because they did not believe in Jesus and God, but because they lacked the wholeness of the Gospel and the ordinances that are so necessary.

Family History work is so these honorable people can become just men and women made perfect through the wholeness of the Gospel and through the necessary ordinances.  As I've said, thousands of my ancestors and blood relatives through those ancestors will inherit the celestial kingdom through Family History work.  I am very blessed to be able to do this work for them.

No comments: